Assistant Network Engineer
Working from home
Up to £29,000 per annum
Having secured significant private investment, we are now planning a major fibre-to-the home build across rural communities in the East of England, connecting thousands of homes to next generation full fibre infrastructure.
We are looking for individuals with the knowledge, creativity, drive and determination to help the company achieve its goals successfully. This is a dynamic, exciting environment to work within and will provide significant opportunities for the right people, with the right skills, to develop and grow with the company.
To support our growth toward becoming the leading broadband network and services provider in the area, we are looking for a talented and experienced Assistant Network Engineer.
Reporting to the Head of Network Strategy & Operations, our Assistant Network Engineer’s main responsibilities will be:
- Network management and routing protocols
- Write and maintain network/operational documents
- Monitor, interrogate and customise network elements
- Maintenance of network systems, this may include: maintaining server hardware and provision a range of virtual machines including but not limited to: CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu and Windows Server and maintaining network supporting systems including but not limited to RADIUS, MySQL Databases, Agora
- Anticipate network demands and plan upgrades including costing and design
- Plan an effective maintenance programme for optimal network performance (including performing Security Audits on the network for potential new threats or exploits using tools such as ZenMap, nMAP and Kali Linux)
- Provide network KPIs to the Network Manager and SMT team
- Run and terminate fibre optic cables including splicing
- Install network equipment
- Engage with the Delivery Team to manage an effective hand over of build to operations
- Work independently on-site and as part of a team
- Carry out scheduled and emergency network maintenance
- Identify ways to improve our network and our procedures
- Provision and test new databases to ensure high speed and high availability including cloud database solutions and MySQL Clustering
- To respond to network emergencies as required to maintain customer SLAs
- Work with and ensure that the SLAs are met with the key active equipment vendors to resolve 3rd line issues
- Work with our Customer Support, Technical Support and Field Engineering teams to help diagnose and resolve third tier reported issues
- Create Labs to reproduce customer issues where appropriate
- Participation in the on-call rota
- Be able to analyse and rectify faults on the fibre network to meet the agreed SLA
- Be able to configure new fibre services and assist Level 2 and Level 1 customer support where required
- Train Level 1 and Level 2 Customer Support Teams on the fibre network
- When required audit and Commission new fibre network by surveying design documents, surveying splicing diagrams, auditing cabinets, performing OTDR inspections and performing VFR inspection on backhaul connections to ensure highest quality of connections
- Carry out onsite surveys and preparation of survey reports
- Assist with the development of internal and external system requirements
- Assist with the production of quotations for installations and service provision
- Using all current and future company systems as required, including but not limited to Keycom, Geopal and QGIS
The candidate should have proven experience and capability in the following areas:
- Juniper OS Qualification (desirable)
- 2 years’ experience in the Technology or Network sector
- Switching (Layer 2 and Layer 3), Routing, BGP, OSPF, IP, VLANs, QinQ, POE, Trunking and Capacity Management and be familiar with the 7 Layer OSI models
- Understanding of Fibre networks and specifically GPON architecture and associated equipment (OLT, ONT etc.) and systems
- Network management system such as Agora, Nagios, The Dude and Librenms
- Maintain up to date knowledge of wireless technologies and be familiar with such matters as RSSI, Antenna Gain, dB, Fresnel Zones and Channel Interference and link budgets (desirable)
- Positive attitude
- Good interpersonal skills
- liaise and manage relationships with stakeholders effectively
Other job requirements
- Willing to undertake further training to fulfil the requirements of the role
Due to there being a requirement for home working, it’s important that you are able to accommodate home working, this includes suitable space to work from and an internet connection which will support it (minimum download speed of 10Mbps).
We would be delighted to hear from you if you believe you have the right skill set to complement our team.
Please forward your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to reply to each one, therefore if you have not heard from us with 14 days of your application you have unfortunately not been successful.
By applying for this position, you are agreeing for County Broadband Ltd to hold and process your personal data in accordance to our Data Protection Policy. If at any stage, you with to withdraw your consent please contact us.